Monday, June 8, 2009

Food photography for Kings

Food Photography again… Actually the pancake shot was lit like I normally light pizza. It was sort of an interesting discovery on my part. Basically, I lit the shadow side with mirrors and three different areas, alternating: light, dark, light, dark. It’s subtle, but affective.



The pulled pork sandwich shot worked out really well, I thought. What I like most is the texture across the sides of the bread, especially the shadow side.



I was a little disappointed with this chicken shot. Actually, it’s the cauliflower I think looks a little texture-less. But it was…. Ya just can’t put texture where it isn’t… I know, I’ve tired. The client wouldn’t let us switch it out with fresh, but I understand his concern. There is such thing as “truth in advertising”. You do the best you can with what you have…



I like this chicken shot. The only thing that bugs me is the fact that I think we lifted the rear end of the breast a bit too far. It looks a little unnatural to me.



I like this fish shot too. Nice texture in the rice and nice shape on the veggies.



All in all, not a bad day’s shoot. What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. From best to worst: Pancake, Pork Sandwich, Fish, Chicken w/ beans, Chicken w/ rice.
    As for lifting the "rear-end" of the breast...didn't realize there were rear ends on breasts! Guess you can create anything in photog. ;)
    Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful highlight and depth on the maple syrup. You're right on the cauli. But beautiful highlights on the beans in the chicken shot. You are the master ;-)

    ReplyDelete