Thursday, March 19, 2009

Email promotion

This is what I've been doing the last couple of days (mostly)

http://www.foodportfolio.com/e/pages/MichaelRay3_09.html

I had a couple of small projects come in over the last couple of days, but for the most part, I've been working on an email promotion. Yes, some may call it spam, just as all those postcards in your mailbox are considered "junk mail", but if you're going to be a professional photographer, you need to promote yourself and email promotions are effective and have a great ROI.

So what do you think?

I tried to make it more personal than just an ad, and a few people (in forums where I gave it a preview) stated that they didn't care for the approach. Obviously, I liked it...

I know... This subject really isn't about food photography, but it is a bout professional photography. If you're not interested in marketing, you won't survive as an independent professional photographer. I'd put money on it, no matter how good you are.

Here's the way this works... I design this emaier in web page software (I currently use Go-Live,but will need to learn Dreamweaver soon) and then copy the html from the page into my "spamming" email software. In order to embed an images in the email, without having it be an attachment, you need to have the image or images on a server software and put the URL of that image into the html of the emailer. That way, the images shows up, but not as an attachment.

I got about 80 positive responses from my email blast. I'm not sure how many images were opened, but these types of promotions tend to work over time. Someone may have opened the email, liked it, went to my site, bookmarked it, but didn't contact me. And then, when the right job shows up on their desk, they'll contact me. As least that's how I hope it happens. :+)

TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael!

    I am your number one fan from Finland and I just LOVE your food photography. I have read all your tutorials several times as I have tried to learn to be a better food photograper.

    The email you sent to your potential customers is not spam. It is information and a posssibility to see one of the most mouthwatering food shots ever taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. It is true though, that one person's opportunity is another's bother. In business, I think you must risk offending some in order to reach the few interested individuals...

    ReplyDelete