Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Learn how to make web pages!


If you're going to be a professional photographer, you should probably learn how to design web pages. Sure, your design skills will probably never rival what a full time professional web designer could create, but still, the skill comes in handy. Really handy.

As a professional photographer, you'll need to market yourself, and in this day and age, the internet is a huge part of marketing. Show me a failing photography business, and I'll show you a poor marketer. Failure in photography has very little to do with talent (IMHO) it has much more to do with not being able to reach a market that needs your type and quality of photography. Yes, I'm saying that even horrible photographers can enjoy this profession, just to horrible marketing photographers.

That's where your need to learn web design comes in handy. Did you know that email marketing involves web design too? Yes, it does. All that spam you get is actually emailed web pages (html). Should you become a spammer? I am... kinda. The thing about email marketing is that there is a very thin line between email marketing and spamming. Think of it in reference to your own "inbox". There are probably emails that you receive that you find interesting, that I might consider to be spam. One man's spam is another man's opportunity.

It's about targeting. But that's another subject for another post. We're talking about learning to design web pages. If you can design web pages, you'll also know how to create emailers too and that's a big part of marketing for the professional photographer.

Sure, you can always hire someone to do your web design, whenever you need it, but when you start out in professional photography, money will be tight. There will be times (always really...) when you'll have to make decisions about where to spend scarce resources, and if at those times you can do your own web design, funds will end up going to other needed things. In the beginning, you'll have more time than money, time you could spend marketing, if you know how to design web pages and emailers.

In other words, success is largely about marketing and marketing is closely related to web design. Therefore... if success = marketing and marketing = web design, then it stands to reason that success = web design... :+)



This is a sample of my spam... I mean,,,, my email marketing. :+) I sent this to about 6,000 people. Not all appreciated it, some did.

4 comments:

  1. This is good news and thanks for the post!! By the way, have you heard of MiNeeds.com? It really simplifies finding affordable web designers. I used it to find them for my business web sites. Essentially, after I described what I needed on this site, I received several competitive bids from local web designers. I liked the fact that I didn’t have to call around and negotiate with each, and that they actually came to me.

    Pittsburgh Web Designers & Programmers - Get Bids & Save | MiNeeds

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm jack of all trades?
    This would be true if you could offer both services to your client too photography and web design, is there a need for both though hmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you it was a wonderful support, now to make web pages! is easy with the help of your information. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  4. After study many of the web sites for your website now, we genuinely much like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will also be checking back soon. Pls consider my internet site too and inform me what you think. best of the web directory

    ReplyDelete