Saturday, March 14, 2009

Natural Food Photography



* For those on the mailing list, please post you homework assignment as a "comment" so that others may benefit from your insight.

I'm writing an article here that will probable end up on one of my other pages (pro-photography 101 or food photography blog) but I thought I'd post my working draft ere in the mean time.

I've come to notice some things lately in my own photography that I hadn't noticed before. I'm doing more subtle things that I think have made a big difference in my work. Once you get to a certain point in your career, the improvements tend to be minor, compared to when it's earlier in your career and there's more to discover. I guess it's the "old dog, new tricks" syndrome.

Anyway... I wanted to share some things that I think will help the budding food photographer's learning curve go a little faster. This is the first part of the article. I need to add illustrations and photos, but that will come later. You'll just have to tune in later.

Natural food photography – (First draft)

Have you ever wondered about what makes a food photo look natural? Sure, documentary and photojournalism photographs by definition, usually tend to look natural. What about other types of photography? What about food photography?

When a food photographer takes out his camera and takes a picture of an existing environment, things tend to look very natural in the resulting photo, but when that same photographer tries to create a natural looking photo in the studio, he very often falls short of the mark. I’m not saying that the photos always look good, but they usually look “natural”. There are many reasons for this shortfall, and this article will attempt to explore why many studio images (food photography in particular) do not seem to look as natural is they could.

For the sake of organization, I’ve broken the issue of how to make your studio food photography into two categories. One category I call “inside the crop”, which refers to all the elements that can be seen directly in the boundaries of the photograph. The other category I call “outside the crop” which refers to all the elements that aren’t inside the boundaries of the photo, but sill affect the look and fee of the food photo.

I consider this article to be a bit advanced for most photographers just beginning their career as a professional, but I think if you can understand that issues like this exist, you can shorten your learning curve immensely. Usually, beginning professionals are more concerned about things like f-stops and getting things in focus. Some photographers never get past that part of photography, while others realize that all that technical stuff is just a set of tools that enable the photographer to create photos that fulfill their visions.

When I say things like “fulfill their visions”, don’t get me wrong. I’m not talking about some high falutten, mystical ideological translation of some obscure concept. I’m talking about simple decisions we all make as photographers to create better photos that fulfill out needs. One example might be, “which depth of field would work best for what I’m trying to do”? Or another might be, “What should be in focus to help sell this product”?

Inside the crop

When a food photographer sets up a shot, and I’m assuming that this is some kind of environmental shot, there will usually need to be several elements in the photo to make it look natural. If you look on your own diner table or restaurant table during your next meal, you will probably notice things that you hadn’t thought would be there. There might be a menu rack or table tent display, or an extra plate off to the side that no one is using, or a candleholder or some other object not normally around. I’m not saying that you should put weird things in all your shots, just be aware that thinking outside the box with propping, can sometimes make your shot look a little more natural.

Too many food photos tend to be much to sterile looking, in my opinion. People make a mess when they eat, usually. Some of their food leaves crumbs behind and sometimes not all those crumbs stay on the plate. Sometimes people don’t put their silverware back exactly where they picked it up. Heck, sometimes the kids set the table and the fork is on the wrong side of the plate and sometimes the water glass is not where Martha Stewart suggested it should be.

Sometimes, people actually eat their food. At least some of it might be gone before the picture is taken. In real life, that may actually happen ya know... Sure, it might not make for a national ad, but maybe it would be perfect for an editorial illustration.

To be continued…

Before I leave, I have a homework assignment for you...

Name three things that make the food photo look "more" natural than it might have...?



Good luck!

10 comments:

  1. Not sure if this fulfills my homework....but, elements to help add a natural affect....fork/napkin....stem of the glass....bottle of wine....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light coming from a low angle, low point of view of the food, close up on the food.
    A well lit leaf of basil or similar won't hurt too ;-)
    Oh wait, that was four! :-)))
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the light skimming on the table ( at 12:00 high) gives the setting a feeling of depth that comes from being in a large restaurant with many light sources.
    Am I right? do I get that crab cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the insightful blog posting!!
    Here's my answer to the homework assignment:

    1) The props. fork, bread, wine glass... when I first saw this photo I thought that it was from a restaurant and not a studio shot.

    2) The uneven lighting. (looks like natural/found light from a sunny window) really brings out the highlight on the seafood.

    3) Composition.The lemon and sauce on the plate add a bit of tension and authenticity, as well as the slightly skewed angle of the plate which made me think on first glance that this was just a snapshot from someone at a restaurant as opposed to a well planned studio shot.

    I'm curious, what kind of lighting equipment did you use for this shot?

    :)
    thanks,
    Geoff Peters
    Vancouver, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Michael, this is an interesting article to read and makes me thinking of not just stage showing the food. Thanks for posting this.

    As a beginner, when I see the food, it looks more staged if the food should look natural.
    First is the lighting, if the food is at the restaurant, usually the light spreads more to the back area if it comes from window when one sits near the window. The light looks stopped at the wine bottle.

    Second, I prefer lesse items on the plate of the main dish. Do people eat the cake/prawn with olive oil (is that olive oil in the small bowl?)

    Third, I think the bread roll (if this is correct) at the upper left hand corner look that it hasn't been touched. I'm just thinking usually people will eat the roll before the main dish.

    Regards,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me i think they are:

    1. Texture
    2. Color
    3. Lighting effect

    Regards,

    Ruel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michael, the blog has been very inspiring, keep it up.
    For the homework, the lighting certianly adds to the natural feel of the photo. Your key is off camera right as inticated by the highlight on the bottle of wine. There appears to be some sort of cookie employed to break up the key or perhaps a fill. The crab cake has been allowed to go into "shadow" as it would do "naturally" if lit from camera right, yet there is a bit of fill or bounce employed to accentuate the texture on the left side of the cake. The highlight on the plate is an additional lighting detail that lends a natural look to the photo. Secondly, props. All items one would find in any restaurant, all "naturally" placed (altough the wine bottle appears closer to the plate than the wine glass ... ) And lastly, and a very nice detail if I do say so myself, immediately right of center at the very top of the frame - outside the crop - there is a very diffuse glow reflected in the polish of the table suggesting some other element placed on the table, leading one to believe that there are other diners present. Very subtle, very natural, very believeable. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michael,

    I just came across ur blog n love it. I like the 'homework' tt ur giving out too.

    My answers :

    1. the lighting..has to be the lighting. I t has to look like its a natural light therefore coming from one side/angle or diffused/broken by a plant/leaves or a not too obstructive object somewhere near

    2. stains maybe..small light stains, crumbs, used fork, knife, half drunk drink...not too perfect looking food...not too 'clean' but nt too messed up either

    3. background/props is important I think...it creates the mood of the meal that is being eaten.....is it a rustic meal or is it a restaurant kind of meal or a picnic or bbq kinda food and the light has to match the mood as well..a subdued sunset hue or a bluish one for bright breakfast food or spring-like kind of light wth flowers for a picnic meal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the delay in getting back... I'll respond to all the homework when I post the conclusion of the post, which should be in the next few days...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thinking inside the crop :)

    1. Some kind of structured chaos, breadcrumbs, fork not in it's 'proper' place, napkin opened...

    2. Things that normally aren't part of setting, newspaper, eyeglasses, letter, extra plates and forks, flowers, candles and matches and so on.

    3. People or just hands doing something, dipping meatball into dip or lighting candles.

    3.

    ReplyDelete